Master foodie Vis Naidoo visited the combined Senhor Frango and Old Fashioned Fish and Chips shop in Edenvale. This family run business is meticulous about their friendly service and quality of food.
‘I must confess our area is spoilt for choice and has some of the best grilled peri-peri chicken in Jozi. If you’re not up to chicken, pregos, espetadas or trinchado, the good news is you can opt for fish and calamari. Many patrons coming into the shop remember the popular Old Fashioned Fish and Chips shop that was in the Orion building and were excited that they can still get their offering. This was our feeling too as we especially loved the very generous portions of slap chips.
I loved seeing deliveries go out with hand drawn messages on the brown paper bags, that looked like they were printed that way.
Based on what we ate, I would recommend:
– The delish grilled peri-peri chicken with their brilliant chips. The chicken is grilled on the braai from Friday to Sunday.
– The delectable beef rump espetada that was tender and full of flavour. Add a side of their tasty milho frito, that has bacon bits in it that takes the flavour to another level. Also grilled on the braai from Friday to Sunday.
– Their delightful beef trinchado with accompanying thick cut chips – an excellent combination.
Old Fashioned Fish and Chips
– Their fabulous deep fried hake is well battered and you’ll love the flavour of the flaky fish, especially with a generous squeeze of lemon.
– A portion of scrumptious deep fried battered calamari, that is tender and tasty.
– Their amazing onion rings and, why not, get more chips.
Do try the Brisa fizzy drinks. The passion fruit is my fave and I tasted the yummy Apple flavour for the first time. They also stock Sumol fizzy drinks.’
Address: Glendower Place Shopping Centre, 99 Linksfield Road, Dowerglen, (above Chocolate Den).
Vis Naidoo is passionate about exploring hidden gems and local restaurant favourites in the East of Johannesburg. Follow his culinary adventures here.