El-Shammah Home for Abandoned Babies and Place of Safety in Primrose was robbed on 18 July 2020. Three robbers gained access to the property and stole 5000 nappies, computers and all the tools the home used for their furniture project.
On 2 August, community member Bernadine Scheepers organised a ‘drive-by baby shower’ where people donated cash and supplies for the babies. ‘I never thought we were going to receive so much support,’ said Scheepers. ‘Bikers, security companies, neighbours, community members, organisations and community stakeholders flooded the home’s gate with food parcels, baby clothing, nappies and other donations.’
‘We would like to thank the community for rallying around us during this very trying time for the country as a whole. We express our sincere gratitude to every single person involved. Thank you for your unwavering support of our organisation and our beneficiaries, the babies,’ said Allistair Scholtz, El-Shammah Home.
The home is in continued need of support. Those who would like to donate can consider the following list as a guideline:
- Baby nappies: sizes two, three and four.
- Baby formula (Lactogen) one, two and three.
- Baby clothes from newborn to two years old.
- Washing powder and cleaning products.
- Tools needed for the furniture project include a grinder, cordless drill, radial arm saw, router and router bits, circular saw and a heat gun.
(+27 10) 023 1155